The Schools International Polo Tournament took place over the weekend of 13 August. A number of St Andrew’s College and DSG pupils represented Zambia.
Representing the Zambia A side from St Andrew’s were Oliver Snart, Mitch Coventry, Jake Coventry (captain), and Max Coventry (reserve). Making the B side were Benjy Coventry, Max Coventry (St Andrew’s) and Emily Paterson (captain, DSG). In the Zambia C side were Kayleigh Clayton and Savannah Coventry (captain, DSG), while Caleb Coventry (St Andrew’s) was part of the Curtin Raiser match.
In the main section, the Zambia A side beat the South African A side by two goals.
According to the organisers, the tournament was a huge success with both Zambia and South Africa playing quality polo. “This tournament is always a good way to gauge how we fare with regards to our current handicaps, which is why international polo matches are critical to the future of Zambian Polo and staying competitive with the international polo community,” said the official report.
Zambia put in three international sides, along with two curtain raiser sides comprised of up-and-coming junior players. “This allowed a wide variety of players to participate over the weekend, and further strengthens the School’s Polo talent pool”.
The results were as follows:
• South Africa vs Zambia C 10 – 4.5 to South Africa (4 chukkas off handicap)
• South Africa vs Zambia B 11 – 5.5 to South Africa (4 chukkas off handicap)
• South Africa vs Zambia A 3 – 5 to Zambia (5 chukkas off scratch)
• Zambia B vs Zambia C 7 – 4.5 to Zambia B (4 chukkas off handicap)
• Zambia A vs Zambia B 9 – 5 to Zambia A (4 chukkas off handicap)
• Zambia A vs Zambia C 17 – 3.5 to Zambia A (4 chukkas off handicap).