Rugby vs Queen's College - St Andrew's College

Rugby vs Queen’s College

History of K-day
Jun 5, 2015
Kday Fixtures
Jun 10, 2015

Rugby vs Queen’s College

The rugby club enjoyed a very successful weekend away from home against Queen’s College. There was some very encouraging performances by all the teams.

The 1st XV took to the field on the Recreation Ground in Queenstown ready to repeat their effort of the previous two weeks. Despite some early dominance Queen’s got the first points as they kicked a penalty and scored a charge down try. This awoke the College team and after a series of phases Mich Muller crashed over in the corner and Anthony Dakin converted 8-7 to Queen’s. Queen’s produced a good passage of play for a try of their own to extend their lead before Dakin succeeded with a penalty to bring College back into the match.

As College were beginning to dominate the proceedings a bizarre passage of play changed the course of the half. The ball had travelled forward off a Queen’s player and 29 players stopped playing as the lone Queen’s player trotted around under the poles and extended the Queens lead to 20-10 as the officials ruled that the ball had travelled forward off the players chest and thus not a knock on. College rallied back with a try of their own through Gordon Everard before Queen’s added one more to their tally to leave the match slightly in Queen’s favour at half time, 25-17.

The second half kicked off at the same furious pace, as Queen’s College went straight onto the attack and St Andrew’s had to absorb an enormous amount of pressure. This continued for some 15 minutes as College repelled Queen’s, attack after attack. When College finally broke out they did so efficiently allowing Anthony Dakin to score a well worked try which sparked some new life into the College team. Not soon after, Matt Stopforth went over for another try as College took the lead for the first time in the game with only 14 minutes remaining. From here a see-saw battle ensued with both sides looking to dominate territory and possession. Queen’s eventually created space for their centre to retake the lead, 32-31, with only six minutes remaining, St Andrew’s went straight onto the attack and after a good passage of pressure Ross Ferguson forced his way over and Dakin converted to restore the College lead with only three minutes remaining. An error off the kick off meant that College would spend the remaining time defending in their 22, but they did so efficiently, as Stopforth won another lineout, Malcolm Pringle cleared the ball into touch to secure a memorable victory for the College 1st XV.

Well done to the 1st XV and to all the teams who played on Saturday!

1st XV won 38-32
2nd XV won 33-3
3rd XV won 26-15
4th XV won 24-22
5th XV won 22-10
6th XV lost 10-26
16A won 31-22
16B won 21-0
16C won 37-0
15A lost 12-17
15B drew 14-14
15C lost 12-17
14A won 33-17
14B won 33-27
14C won 24-5