Hockey vs Cambridge - St Andrew's College

Hockey vs Cambridge

Pitproduksie-aand: ’n Reuse sukses
May 15, 2015
Rugby vs Cambridge
May 18, 2015

Hockey vs Cambridge

The St Andrew’s College 1st XI allowed an athletic and skilful Cambridge side control the midfield with some easy turn-overs which put the side, and particularly, the defence under pressure. A couple of penalty corners were conceded inside the first fifteen minutes. St Andrew’s managed to defend these and from a clearance, Ross Vides picked up the ball on the half way line beat a series of defenders to score very much against the run of play. From this point on the College side controlled both possession and territory as they kept Cambridge in their own half. Despite winning three penalty corners they could not add to the scoreline. Cambridge continued to fight hard and always looked dangerous with the ball. They converted a penalty corner mid-way through the half to level the score. A further Cambridge attack looked to have been thwarted but a mishit by the striker was poorly cleared by the defence and the ball trickled over the goal line to the dismay of the home side. College 2-1 down at half time.

The second half saw a greater energy and control of the ball by the St Andrew’s College side and they began to dominate both possession and territory once again. Ross Vides always looked dangerous, but was closely, and effectivley marked. Luke Hobson and Vuyo Ketwa were outstanding in the mid-field and were effective in creating attacking opportunities. The St Andrew’s side had numerous circle entries with limited success. The penalty corner count began to grow, but very good keeping, and inaccurate injections neutralised any advantage. Jonty Hoard found an unmarked Veli Motsilili who rounded the keeper but could not get his shot away. Ross Vides came close on a few occassions but could not find the net. One attack led to a scramble in the goalmouth which led to the ball rolling to an unmarked Roddy Hutchings, who tapped the ball in for the equaliser with 10 ,minutes remains. Cambridge failed to mount any attacks of note in the second half, but College could not convert their numerous chances. However, some excellent work by James Marriner and Pete Jarvis gave College a penalty corner with 30 seconds remaining. A well worked variation was well saved, once again, by the Cambridge keeper, who was man of the match in an exciting and highly skilful display of hockey. Final score 2-2.

1st XI 2 – 2
2nd XI 3 – 1
3rd XI 7 – 0
U16A 2 – 2
U16B 5 – 0
U16C 8 – 1
U14A 10 – 0