“For almost every boy who has passed through the school the Chapel has become, in time, the place of sacred memory.” – (Marguerite Poland, The Boy in You)
The chapel was designed by Sir Herbert Baker and was built under the guidance of Baker’s partner, Franklin Kendall.
The foundation stone was laid on 8 September 1913 by The Hon. Sir Lewis Michell. In 2013, the Chapel celebrated its Centenary anniversary.
The chapel includes three war memorials, dedicated to Old Andreans who lost their lives in wars:
- The South African Wars: the 9th Frontier War, the Korhanna Uprising, the Basotho War, the Second Matabele War and the Boer War
- The First World War
- The Second World War
The building is also filled with commemorative windows, doors, plaques, wooden panels, vessels, crosses, candlesticks, alter cloths, embroidered kneelers and a marble pulpit.
The chapel is cherished by many of the Andrean community as ‘the heart of the school’ – a sanctuary for reflection and celebration.
Although we remain proud of our Anglican foundation, and remain a Christian school, St Andrew’s College accepts pupils of all faiths and denominations who are happy to attend worship in a Christian context.
The school worships together in the College Chapel, led by the school Chaplain. The Chaplain is the spiritual leader of the school and is available for counselling and guidance to pupils at all times. He discusses a range of spiritual, ethical and moral issues with our boys and services range from formal Eucharists to more relaxed prayer and sing-along sessions. Pupils may be prepared for confirmation at the school.
- January 19, 2018
- June 1, 2017
- May 25, 2017
- March 29, 2017
- July 28, 2016